Sunday, June 5, 2011

Don't Conform, be Transformed

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. -Romans 12:2

Often times I find myself asking God-"what is your will for my life?" or "what should I do in this situation" and I get irritated and frustrated when I don't get an answer. But, I am going about it all wrong. I am spending too much time conforming to the pattern of this world and not enough time renewing my mind and being transformed. I want to look a certain way, I want my house to look just right, I want everyone to like me. I read magazines that are filled with useless information, I waste too much time on facebook or blogs just looking to see what others are doing and saying. I spend too much time cleaning. I spend time shopping and trying to get the best deals. None of these are "bad" things- in fact some of them are good, but I have let them take the place of reading God's word, I get too busy and at the end of the day I skim through a few verses and a quick devotional and expect that to renew my mind?! Most of the time when I wake up in the morning I don't even remember what I read.
The definition of renew is to revive; reestablish. If I really want to revive my mind I need to dig deep into the word of God, press in and seek him in prayer so that I will no longer be conformed to this world but be transformed (to change in condition, nature or character; convert.) Once I am transformed I will be able to understand and follow God's will for my life, his good, pleasing and perfect will.


No comments:

Post a Comment